Kelvedon Estate

Kelvedon was traditionally a fine wool sheep and Cattle property with some cropping, in 1998 the family diversified into Viticulture. Initially 1ha of Pinot clones were planted these vines form the foundation of the very successful Kelvedon Estate Label.
Our first hectare of vines were planted in 1998, and the success of the viticulture enterprise has resulted in expansion over the years to 9 hectares in full production. Half of our vintage is sold under contract to Accolade Wine of which the fruit is made into sparkling wine for the House of Arras Range. The balance of the production is produced for our own label which can be found in restaurants and bottle shops throughout Tasmania and Melbourne.

Kelvedon Estate was settled in 1829 by Francis and Anna Maria Cotton, who immigrated from England, aboard the ss. William and Mary Jellicoe with their Five children and good friend Dr George Fordyce Story. They had originally planned to settle in New South Wales, however after a rough voyage and word of good prospects they decided to settle in Tasmania.
The property has expanded over the years and changed enterprises to reflect the climate. Through the 50’s and again in the 70’s and 80’s Douglas Cotton ran successful Hereford Studs, however due to the typically dry East Coast a cattle enterprise became increasingly difficult to maintain and was dispersed in the early 90’s. The vines which like the dry conditions were the perfect enterprise to replace the cattle, and have continued to grow and be successful over the years.